Why is it important to build a customized plan?
Building a customized plan starts simply by making a list of the things that are important to you now and the things you want to work towards. It’s also an opportunity to outline how you’re going to use your money to achieve your goals.
Remember, a financial plan can help you:
Having these goals in place and a plan for how to get there will ultimately help you worry less and save more. Here’s how you can get started.
1. Track your current expenses
Getting clear on your current financial situation will give you a starting point for your plan.
Try this budget calculator. It can help you take an honest look at where your money is going and find out if your spending habits are working for or against you.
2. Set financial goals
You may be thinking about what’s happening with your money today. That’s important, but don’t forget to factor in what you’re going to need as your life changes over time. Ask yourself:
- Would you like to retire early?
- Do you have the financial protection you need in case something happens between now and then?
- Will you have enough money saved to last throughout retirement?
- Have you thought about how your financial needs will change along the way?
Writing down your goals can help you make them a reality.
3. Get professional help with your finances
Need help getting started? It all starts with great advice.
Everyone can benefit from sound advice – no matter how much money you have to work with.
An advisor can look at your specific needs to help you develop a solid and customized plan. They’ll work with you to understand your goals and needs. They can also answer any questions you may have and help you:
- manage your current financial situation,
- create a flexible budget,
- monitor your investments,
- maximize your savings opportunities,
- revise your plan as your needs change, and
- provide additional financial tips and resources.
Whether you’re just starting out and looking for budgeting tips or thinking about retirement, an advisor can help you get started. Find an advisor today.
This article is meant to only provide general information. Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada does not provide legal, accounting, taxation, or other professional advice. Please seek advice from a qualified professional, including a thorough examination of your specific legal, accounting and tax situation.