We aspire to be a responsibly-managed business that is Client-focused, competitive, forward-thinking, financially and environmentally resilient, and sustainable for the long term.
Operating ethically, treating our Clients and employees with utmost respect, and reducing our impact on the environment are all vital components of maintaining the longevity and resiliency of our business.
Priority Sustainable Development Goals: #5 Gender Equality and #13 Climate Change.
- Increased transparency on climate change management by publishing our first TCFD-aligned disclosures in Sun Life’s 2020 Annual Report.
- 34% women in Vice-President (VP)+ roles globally. We set a new goal to increase the representation of women in senior management to 50% globally by 2025.
- 15% underrepresented ethnicities in VP+ roles in North America (target 25% by 2025).
- Built a sustainability assessment process into all aspects of our corporate real estate operations in North America. We now incorporate sustainability considerations in every step of a building’s lifecycle. In 2021, we intend to expand this process to all corporate real estate operations globally.
- Supported transparency and clarity in financial communications with our plain language initiative. This is in an ongoing international priority. In Canada alone, we rewrote 1,200 documents in 2020 to make information more clear and understandable for our Clients.
- Achieved an 89% score in our 2020 Global Employee Engagement Check-in Survey, which is above the global financial services norm.1
- Took significant steps to embed our new Client Data Privacy Principles into our policies and guidelines. We also launched a communication and awareness campaign to help everyone at Sun Life live and breathe these principles.
- Achieved our gender representation goals for Board membership, with 36% women directors.
Learn more about our responsible business practices
1 Based on Willis Towers Watsons benchmark of Global High Performance Companies and Global Financial Services.