RSA Travel Insurance is part of Sun Life's referral network
Medi-Select Advantage® Travel Insurance1
Don’t forget to pack travel insurance on your next vacation. Get access to a wide range of travel solutions at competitive rates, with preferred pricing for Sun Life Financial customers2 from RSA Travel Insurance.
- Up to $5 million in emergency medical coverage
- Top-ups on existing group travel coverage available
- No age limit for obtaining individual coverage
- Family coverage available to clients age 54 and under
- Multi-trip non-medical coverage options available
Access to non-medical coverage options, including:
- Trip cancellation
- Trip interruption
- Protection of travel baggage and personal effects
- and more…
- Emergency call centre 24/7. Specially trained, professional assistance personnel are ready to assist you when you need their help.
- Special assistance in the U.S. Doctor-On-Call™ service for travellers to the U.S. connects you with a licensed U.S. physician who can even see you at your location in case of emergency.3 (Not available for visitors to Canada insurance.)
- Personal referrals. RSA Travel Insurance will refer you to a medical provider (hospital, clinic or physician) so they'll be willing and waiting to assist you.
- Case management. An experienced team, available 24 hours a day, will monitor the services you receive in the event of an emergency.
- Interpretation service. Speak with a foreign-language interpreter for emergency services in foreign countries.
Popular travel insurance questions
It may or it may not. Before travelling, be sure to read your group plan benefits booklet/contract to learn about the existing travel coverage you may have through your employer's plan. If you're unable to find those documents, your human resources department should be able to assist you. If your plan does offer travel protection, be aware of possible coverage limitations (such as benefit limits, number of days away, age limits, coverage exclusions) and coverage that's not included (such as trip cancellation, trip interruption, or lost baggage).
If you need to supplement your current travel protection, RSA Travel Insurance can assist you with options to top-up your group coverage or provide coverage that's not available through your group plan.
Some credit cards may include travel insurance, so it's very important that you carefully review what your credit card offers. If your credit card does offer travel insurance, be sure to read and understand the coverage as well as the limitations of the coverage before you travel. Ask yourself these key questions:
- Does my credit card coverage protect my entire family?
- Is the coverage only valid if part or all of the travel arrangements were paid for with the credit card that includes the travel insurance?
- Does the coverage provide both medical and non-medical benefits (such as trip cancellation, trip interruption or lost baggage)?
- Does an age limit apply?
- Does the coverage adequately cover all my potential needs?
- Does my credit card allow for top-ups should I wish to travel longer than the number of days offered?
If in doubt about any of the above, don't take chances – call RSA Travel Insurance at 1-855-780-0458 to learn about the travel protection options they can provide to you and your family.
Contrary to popular belief, provincial health insurance plans do not cover all financial losses incurred due to a medical emergency outside your home province or territory – in fact, some costs are not covered at all (such as ambulance charges, emergency return to your home province or returning your vehicle if you are unable to drive it back following a medical emergency). Medical care in the U.S. and many places around the world can be very expensive. Without proper travel insurance coverage, not only would payment be the responsibility of the traveller but also the co-ordination of assistance required.
Even when travelling to another Canadian province, your provincial health insurance plan will only cover financial losses incurred due to a medical emergency up to the amount that would be reimbursed if the incident had occurred in your home province, as the cost of medical services varies by province and territory.
Get a free online quote for travel insurance for Canadians.
Call RSA Travel Insurance at