Frequently Asked Questions
When do we pay an accidental death benefit?
A: We pay an accidental death benefit if the insured person dies:
- while this policy is in effect
- as a direct result of an accident
- independently of any other cause
- within 90 days of the accident, and
- before their 70th birthday.
This policy ends on the date the ensured person dies.
Who can buy Accidental Death Insurance?
Anyone between 18 and 64 inclusive, legally living in Canada, can buy Accidental Death Insurance. The insurance is for anyone looking for additional coverage up until the age of 70. You’re covered as long as you pay your monthly premiums.
How much accidental death insurance coverage can I buy?
You can buy accidental death insurance coverage of $25,000 up to $500,000 in units of $25,000. We recommend consulting an advisor before adding this protection. You can get up to $500,000 of insurance. Help ensure your family is looked after in the rare chance you pass away due to an accident.
What does an accidental death policy cover?
Sun Life Go Accidental Death Insurance covers you if you pass away within 90 days of, as a direct result of an accident and before you reach age 70. It may pay a tax-free benefit. Go for accidental death insurance if you:
- Want to supplement your existing life insurance in case you die due to an accident.
- Want affordable insurance without answering any health questions.
What is not an accidental death?
Please note that Sun Life Go Accidental Death insurance doesn’t cover all accidental deaths. We won’t pay the accidental death benefit if you pass away as a direct or indirect result of:
- Operating a vehicle while your blood alcohol level is more than 80 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood – whether or not the vehicle was moving.
- Committing or trying to commit a crime.
- Taking, or attempting to take your own life or injure yourself. This is regardless of whether you had a mental illness or understood or intended the consequences of your action(s).
- Taking drugs other than those prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner.
- Inhaling or ingesting any poisonous substance or inhaling any type of gas - whether voluntarily or not
- Having a mental or physical illness or receiving treatment for that illness.
- Receiving dental or surgical treatment.
- Getting an infection - unless the infection was caused by an external, visible wound received in an accident.
- Travelling by air, which includes leaving the aircraft. This is unless you’re a fare-paying passenger on a regularly scheduled airline.
Find more exclusions and limitations in the Sun Life Go Accidental Death Insurance sample policy.