Building sustainable, healthier communities for life
And we’re looking for new and innovative ways to do more.
Our sustainability strategy
Sun Life's focus on advancing sustainability brings our Purpose, to help our Clients achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives, to life. Sustainability is a key strategy for the company and is central to our overall business success.
We define sustainability as taking accountability for our social, environmental, economic and governance impacts, risks and opportunities, in ways that help to ensure our long-term ability to deliver value to our Clients, employees, shareholders and communities.
Our company-wide sustainability strategy, approved by our Board of Directors, focuses on four key principles within which we continue to deepen our commitment and strengthen our practices: organizational resilience, environmental responsibility, community wellness and governance and risk management. Our priority topics, informed by stakeholder feedback, are mapped to these four principles.
Advancing sustainability across four key principles
- Organizational resilience
- Environmental responsibility
- Community wellness
- Governance and risk management
We cultivate an organization that is competitive, forward-thinking, resilient and sustainable for the long term, so we can continue to meet the needs of our Clients, who are at the centre of all we do.
- Rolled out a new disability management service in Canada through Medical Confidence Inc. The service makes it easier for Clients on disability leave to navigate through treatment and recovery options and gain accelerated access to healthcare professionals.
- Reduced escalations to our internal Ombudsman Office in Canada by 8% compared to 2017.
- Made plain language a key Client experience priority and rewrote more than 3,000 documents across Canada, the U.S., Hong Kong, Malaysia and the Philippines.
- Introduced Lumino Health network, a platform that connects Canadians with health-care providers and health innovators. Canadians can find massage therapists, dentists, physiotherapists and more with patient-submitted ratings and cost information.
- Established organizational commitments that address gender and visible minority representation at the leadership level by 2020.
- Continued to work with industry partners to develop a privacy transparency framework for information about privacy practices, with the goal of demystifying data use and drawing attention to what matters most to our Clients. The guide was released in January 2019.
- Launched refreshed wellness incentive programs for employees in North America, using digital technology that gives employees personalized access to resources to track and measure their progress in physical, mental and financial wellness.
- Continued to implement our multi-year Accessibility Plan, which is focused on creating accessible products, services, employment and workplaces in ways that respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities.
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World
- Corporate Knights Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
- FTSE4Good Index
- Globe and Mail - Board Games
- Reader’s Digest Trusted Brand™ Award
- Imagine Canada Caring Company
- Top 100 Company 2018 - Thomson Reuters Diversity & Inclusion Index