The world of investing can be complex, but it doesn't have to be difficult
All it takes is some discipline and a little advice along the way. Your first step is to understand what your options are.
Different savings options for different needs
Everyone has their own reasons for saving: buying a home or car, post-secondary education for the kids, taking the trip of a lifetime or making sure there’s enough retirement income to last. Whatever your needs, there are different savings products with different features designed to make it easier to achieve your goals.
An advisor can help you choose the product or products that best meet your needs.
Types of savings:
Guaranteed interest products
- There are a number of different guaranteed interest products that all combine protection for your initial investment and a predetermined growth opportunity.
- The guaranteed return is based on interest rates, the deposit amount, the length of the term and other factors, depending on the product you choose.
- You’ll have peace of mind knowing your savings are protected from market fluctuations.
- Mutual funds are market-based investments designed for longer-term investing, because their value fluctuates.
- While short-term fluctuations can be dramatic, over the long term returns can be higher than from guaranteed interest products.
- There are thousands of mutual funds to choose from, all offering professional investment management around a specific investment strategy.
- Segregated fund contracts, like mutual funds, are market-based investments, but because they are insurance contracts, they also have additional benefits, including efficient estate settlement.
- There are a number of segregated fund contracts that combine capital protection with growth potential.
- Your savings will be protected. When your contract matures or when you die, your savings will be guaranteed to return a minimum of 75% up to 100% of the money you put in (less withdrawals).
- Some segregated fund contracts also offer guaranteed lifetime income.