Number, Value and Duration of Scholarships
Up to twenty (20) scholarships will be available at the bachelor or master’s level.
These scholarships are valued at $5,000 CAD per year, available for one academic year. The scholarship also includes:
- A 4-month internship at Sun Life in summer 2022.
- Career and professional mentorship from Sun Life during the internship.
- Possibility for a full time offer to join Sun Life upon graduation.
Eligible applicants must:
- People who self-identify as part of the Black and Indigenous communities;
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Enrolled in full-time studies in their last year of a bachelor’s degree, or a master’s degree;
- Have a minimum cumulative average of 70% (2.70 GPA or B-average) over the last three terms of available marks*;
- Available to complete an internship in either of our offices in Toronto, Waterloo, or Montreal, or virtually (work from home) from any location within Canada if you’re unable to work in these locations.
- Canadian educational institutions which have recognized degree/diploma-granting powers, or their affiliates, (e.g. universities, colleges).
Field of Study/Program Requirements
- There are no restrictions on the program of study or discipline.
- The applicant must be interested in employment within the company upon graduation. Some of the possible areas of work include Actuarial, Business, Finance, Legal, Information Technology, Human Resources, Marketing, Communications, Risk and Sales.
- University preparatory programs in any jurisdiction are not eligible (e.g. CEGEP, pre-university diploma).
Scholarship Partners Canada (SPC), a division of Universities Canada, administers the scholarship program on behalf of Sun Life. Universities Canada’s mandate is to facilitate the development of public policy on higher education and to encourage cooperation among universities and governments, industry, communities, and institutions in other countries. Universities Canada is associated with leading firms in nearly every sector of the economy through its provision of scholarship services and management of more than 130 different scholarships programs on behalf of corporations, government agencies and private foundations throughout North America. For additional information, please visit www.univcan.ca.
Sun Life retains the right to change and/or end the sponsorship of the scholarship plan without notice.
Please add email@example.com to safe senders in your junk email options so that you continue to receive important messages from SPC.
- Submit an online application by visiting https://portal.scholarshippartners.ca/welcome/Sunlife_EN/
- The application must be submitted to SPC no later than 1:00 PM EST, October 26th, 2021.
- All supporting documentation must be received by 1:00 PM EST October 26th, 2021.
- Documents will be reviewed by SPC staff to ensure all requirements have been met.
- Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by email following processing by SPC.
- It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that all supporting documents have been received and accepted by visiting https://portal.scholarshippartners.ca to review their scholarship application status.
- Account maintenance will be conducted online.
The supporting documentation described below is required as part of this application. If any of these documents are not received and accepted, the application will be considered incomplete and will not be evaluated. SPC will send a final follow-up email to the applicant on October 22, 2021 requesting any missing or incomplete documentation. Any applicant submitting supporting documents after this date will not receive a follow-up email. Supporting documents must be received by SPC on or before 1:00 PM EST, October 26th, 2021.
500-word personal essay in support of your candidacy, telling us about yourself and what winning this scholarship would mean to you.
Provide a copy of your current curriculum vitae.
Please provide a transcript of all your university marks.
NOTE: Recognizing the impact of COVID-19, SPC will accept unofficial transcripts, bearing the student’s name and date - from student accounts where official transcripts are not available.
Documents must be uploaded by submitting an online application or sent directly to the address below by 1:00 PM EST, October 26th, 2021.
PLEASE NOTE: If any of the requirements noted above are not met, the application will be considered incomplete. Deadline extensions will not be granted.
The selection of scholarship recipients is made by a committee of Canadian university and college representatives chosen by SPC. Sun Life exercises no influence in shortlisting of candidates; however, we will be interviewing the preselected candidates. Once complete, the selection committee’s decision is irrevocable.
- Academic performance.
- Volunteer/community involvement and/or extracurricular activities.
- Quality and relevance of the essay.
- Quality and relevance of the CV.
All applicants will receive confirmation by email of the results of the selection process, once available.
- Payments will only be issued upon the applicant’s completion of the scholarship acceptance process and the submission of a letter of offer from Sun Life, and at the beginning of the internship at Sun Life.
Successful applicants will receive confirmation of their scholarship in March 2022. Recipients will be required to complete the online scholarship acceptance process and forward any required documentation such as proof of registration from the educational institution they will be attending. It is the responsibility of the recipient to keep SPC informed of any changes to their contact information through the online portal.
- Scholarship payments for this program will be made directly to the applicant.
- SPC will forward payment of the scholarship to the recipient on behalf of Sun Life.
- It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that payment of tuition fees is made within the defined time frame set by the educational institution regardless of the timing of the scholarship payment.