Making a claim
1. Call us at 1-800-669-7921. This number will also be listed at the beginning of the policy. We’ll send you the appropriate form to fill out.
2. Fill out the form and mail it to us at the address listed on it. We may ask you to include additional information to assess the claim. This may include:
- proof that you have the right to receive the benefit,
- proof that you had a covered critical illness while your policy was in effect,
- a written diagnosis which describes the symptoms and the cause of the illness and
- your complete medical records.
Notes on the written diagnosis
The written diagnosis must include all information needed to assess the illness. A medical specialist licensed and practising in Canada (or another doctor acceptable to us) must prepare and sign it.
The doctor, specialists or health care practitioners who sign the diagnosis – or provide information to us – may not be:
- the owner of the policy,
- a person insured under the policy,
- a person entitled to make a claim under the policy or
- a relative or business associate of these people.
Keep in mind
Doctors may charge a fee to fill out certain forms. You are responsible for any fees associated with collecting this information.
In some cases, we may choose health practitioners to examine you. These may be licensed physicians, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, psychiatrists, psychologists, neurologists or others. We’ll cover the cost of these examinations.