This Bright Paper explores the recently completed pilots of two innovative solutions. We’ve made these part of our disability management toolkit and Extended Health Care (EHC) plans.
Pharmacogenomic testing analyzes a person’s genetic makeup to learn how they will respond to a given drug. Testing helps physicians choose the right drugs and dosage to help get patients better, faster. Our partner on this pilot was the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). This study provided key insights as well as some great results:
- Pharmacogenomic testing has high acceptance. 80% of those approached agreed to take part
in the study.
- Testing early in the disability process resulted in a significant reduction in time off work.
- Testing also resulted in reduction in severity of symptoms.
Online Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
CBT is a standard, effective treatment for a wide range of mental health concerns, including anxiety and depression. It helps patients manage feelings of distress by learning to change the way they think and behave. Research has shown that online CBT can be just as effective as in-person therapy in many cases.
Sun Life partnered with MindBeacon Health for two pilots. One applied online CBT to our disability claims management process. The second made online CBT available through our EHC plans.
Key results and findings from the pilots:
- High engagement and satisfaction with therapy results.
- Participants saw a reduction in symptom severity.
- Strong benefit of early intervention.
Our research helps our Clients:
- Understand the issues and trends in our industry, and
- Give their employees the group benefits support they need.
With this research we also:
- Provide direction on what actions our Clients can take, and
- Show how new programs and technologies can affect their plan.
We’ll continue to lead and participate in the critical research that is shaping our industry.