As part of Budget 2022, the federal government will extend EI sickness benefits from 15 to 26 weeks.
This change will likely take place in the summer/fall of 2022. We’ll provide an update once the government has confirmed the date.
Changes to the Premium Reduction Program (PRP)
The federal reforms may also affect the PRP. We expect these changes for the summer of 2023. You may currently qualify for lower EI premiums if you:
- have registered in the PRP,
- provide STD benefits to your employees and
- meet certain requirements.
If you currently qualify for PRP, you’ll continue to do so in the immediate term as the federal government conducts a review of the PRP program.
We'll provide further updates as they become available.
What’s the impact for you this year for any of the above changes?
- If you qualify for the PRP, there won’t be any immediate impact to your plan. Your status will remain the same until the federal government changes the program.
- If you have an integrated STD/EI plan, you may wish to align with the new 26-week benefit period. If you wish to adjust your STD benefit period, or LTD elimination period in the future, you can contact your advisor or Sun Life group benefits representative.
You’ll be able to discuss options and pricing. It’s important to know we’ll assess rate changes to revised STD and LTD plans, on a plan-by-plan basis.
Questions? We’re here to help.
If you have fewer than 50 employees, please contact your Client Service Administrator at 1-877-786-7227.
If you have more than 50 employees, please contact your Sun Life Group Benefits representative.