Updated: February 17, 2021
The Government of Canada announced new travel restrictions on January 29, 2021.
We continue to treat COVID-19 medical emergencies the same as any others that happen outside Canada. However, the new measures could cause delays and extra costs that travel coverage doesn’t cover.
- Incoming international flights now go to only four airports:
- Vancouver International Airport
- Calgary International Airport
- Toronto Pearson International Airport
- Montréal Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport.
- Passengers must quarantine on arrival: Travellers arriving on international flights now have to:
- quarantine at an appointed local hotel for three nights and
- take a COVID-19 test.
- Travel insurance does not cover the new measures: The traveller must pay any of the related costs. This is because the new measures are not a travel emergency.
Sun Life will not pay a claim under travel insurance policies for:
- the costs of the hotel or COVID-19 test or
- any extra costs resulting from the new measures, such as cancelled trips or flight costs.
- Trip time limit still applies: We won't extend your trip time limit, even if the new measures create delays when travelling home.
- Travellers should check the Canadian government’s travel advisories regularly.
Please share this updated plan member communication with your employees. It outlines what they need to know if they plan to travel abroad during this pandemic.