Updated: January 25, 2021
Some plan members may be thinking about travelling this winter. It’s important that you and your plan members understand their Out-of-Country coverage. This includes how it applies to COVID-19.
- Travel advisories: We strongly encourage you to check the Government of Canada Travel Advisory website before deciding to leave Canada. The Government is advising Canadians to avoid all non-essential travel outside of Canada. Some borders could close as the COVID-19 situation changes. In such a case, you could have your coverage end while you are still abroad. This is why it’s important you know your trip time limit.
- COVID-19 tests: Travellers over 5 years old must show proof of a negative COVID-19 test before boarding a flight to Canada. Travellers must take the test within 72 hours of boarding a flight to Canada.
Sun Life won’t cover the cost of COVID-19 tests under travel insurance benefits. This is because we don’t consider it treatment for a medical emergency.
- Trip time limit: The standard trip time limit in your contract applies. You need to check your contract to make sure your trip falls within these limits. We won't extend your trip time limit, even if you experience restrictions when travelling home.
- COVID-19 coverage in place: We’ll treat medical emergencies caused by COVID-19 in the same way we treat others that occur outside Canada. If any employee misses a flight because they can’t get a test for COVID-19 before departure, we won't:
- cover the cost of the missed flight or other related expenses
Please share this updated plan member communication with your employees. It outlines what they need to know if they plan to travel abroad during this pandemic.