If you’re away sick, feel better about the office
When you run your own business, it can feel like being away sick just isn’t an option. Unfortunately, a serious illness can make work impossible.
Professional Overhead Expense (POE) Insurance takes care of the bills, so you can take care of yourself.
Professional Overhead Expense Insurance…
- is payable if you are temporarily disabled or seriously ill.
- covers the normal costs of running a business that’s outside your home.
- pays staff salaries so they can keep working.
- is especially important if you’re the only person who covers the business expenses.
Why choose POE Insurance?
- Choice of coverage levels
- Savings on insurance you need, thanks to group pricing
How much coverage can you apply for?
You can apply for a monthly benefit payment of $500 to $5,000 in units of $100.
- Add or reduce your coverage any time, up to your maximum1
- Premiums disappear if you’re totally disabled2 before you turn 653
- Top-up for reduced income when you re-start work4
You're eligible if you are:
- a member in good standing, working at least 25 hours a week,
- between the ages of 18 and 60 (coverage ends on member’s 65th birthday minus the elimination period),
- a resident of Canada.
What’s the cost?
Check out the rate sheets for a quick estimate.
Find out more
Full descriptions and any exclusions are in your plan brochure, but here is a list of expenses covered:
- Rent or mortgage interest
- Heat, water, electricity, telephone
- Salaries of employees
- Taxes on business premises
- Other fixed expenses normally related to running an office
- the date the Insured no longer has Long Term Disability insurance coverage,
- the date the Insured is no longer Actively At Work,
- the date the Insured has received 6 monthly payments for any one period of Partial Disability or, if earlier, the date the Insured reaches age 65,
- the date the Insured has received 12 monthly payments for any one period of Total Disability or, if earlier, the date the Insured reaches age 65.
Take these three steps to apply:
Medical underwriting is required.
No benefits are payable for claims resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:
- declared or undeclared war, insurrection or rebellion
- voluntary participation in a riot or act of civil disobedience
- self-inflicted injury regardless of whether the Insured has the ability to form the requisite intent or regardless of whether the Insured has a mental illness such that the Insured does not know or understand the consequences of the Insured’s actions
- committing or attempting to commit a criminal offense
- normal pregnancy and/or childbirth
This website is intended only as an outline of the insurance policy, which is available upon request. The complete terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations governing the insurance coverage are found in the group insurance policy issued by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. The policy can be obtained by calling Sun Life Financial at 1-800-669-7921 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or emailing email@example.com.