Health and Dental insurance that keeps your wallet healthy too
The cost of prescription drugs, a visit to the optician, a paramedical appointment or even a stay in the hospital can all add up. Extended Health Care (EHC) Insurance covers many basic health costs. You can even make trips to the dentist less painful by choosing a plan with dental care.
You’ll use your coverage when you:
- need prescription drugs1
- buy new glasses or contacts
- see a variety of medical practitioners, including massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors and more
- have a stay in the hospital (where you’ll want a semi-private or private room)
- visit the dentist (if you choose an option with dental care coverage)
Why choose EHC and Dental Insurance?
- Choice of five plans, so you get the best solution for your needs
- Savings, thanks to group pricing
Access your EHC and Dental benefit and claims information quickly and easily.
By visiting mysunlife.ca or using our mobile app, if you have coverage, you can:
- Find out what your health and medical plans cover
- Submit claims for instant processing
- Submit a copy of a receipt by snapping a photo
- Easily check the status of your claims
- Get help faster by calling us from within the app – we’ll have your plan details ready to go
- Have your coverage cards handy wherever you go in the app and Apple Wallet
- Use the drug-look-up tool to find out how much of your prescription drug costs are covered – we may even be able to suggest a less-expensive generic equivalent
- Find healthcare providers in your area
- Keep up with product and service updates, special offers and helpful reminders by viewing ‘My Notifications’
To learn more about the my Sun Life mobile app visit sunlife.ca/mobile.
You're eligible if you are:
- a member in good standing, working a minimum of 25 hours a week,
- between the ages of 18 and 65 (coverage ends on member’s 75th birthday),
- a resident of Canada, and
- covered under your provincial health insurance (plus RAMQ in Quebec).
Meet the criteria? You can get Extended Health Care and Dental Insurance for:
(You + spouse)2
What’s the cost?
Check out the rate sheets for a quick estimate.
What are the coverage options?
There are five health care plans available. Choose the plan that’s right for you.
You can find out more in your plan brochure.
Coverage ends at:
- Age 75
- The date that any person who is not entitled to benefits under a provincial medicare plan or federal government plan that provides similar benefits (for Quebec: RAMQ equivalent)
Take these three steps to apply:
Medical underwriting is required
- procedures performed primarily to improve appearance
- replacement of dental appliances that are lost, misplaced or stolen
- charges for appointments that a person does not keep
- charges for completing claim forms
- services or supplies for which no charge would have been made in the absence of this coverage
- supplies usually intended for sport or home use, such as mouth guards
- procedures or supplies used in full mouth reconstruction (capping all of the teeth in the mouth), vertical dimension corrections (changing the way the teeth meet) including attrition (worn down teeth), alteration or restoration of occlusion (building up and restoring the bite), or for the purpose of prosthetic splinting (capping teeth and joining teeth together to provide additional support)
- charges related to implants, including surgery charges
- charges related to temporomandibular joint (TMJ) treatment
- transplants and repositioning of the jaw
- experimental treatments
- hostile action of any armed forces, insurrection or participation in a riot or civil commotion
- dental services required due to congenital malformation
- participation in a criminal offence
This website is intended only as an outline of the insurance policy, which is available upon request. The complete terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations governing the insurance coverage are found in the group insurance policy issued by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. The policy can be obtained by calling Sun Life Financial at 1-800-669-7921 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or emailing email@example.com.