Protect your financial health, even during an illness
Many Canadians have experienced a life-threatening illness like a stroke, heart attack or cancer1. Some expenses aren’t covered by provincial health plans. That could mean dipping into your savings or retirement funds.
Critical Illness2 (CI) Insurance can help cover daily expenses, pay for alternative treatments, or allow a loved one to have time off with you. You use it any way you need it, so you can focus on your recovery, not your finances.
Critical Illness Insurance…
- is paid whether or not you are able to work
- is a lump-sum you can spend any way you like
How does Critical Illness insurance make a difference?
Why choose Critical Illness Insurance?
- Covers 11 illnesses
- Savings on the insurance you need, thanks to group pricing
How much coverage can you apply for?
- You and your spouse3: $25,000 to $250,000, in units of $25,000 (your spouse can apply for up to the same coverage you choose for yourself)
Best Doctors®* services - A valuable service available to you, your spouse, dependent children, parents and parents-in-law at any point during the lifetime of the policy. You can access Best Doctors to get answers to any of your medical questions (they do not need to be questions relating to an illness covered under this policy). In addition, if you get critically ill, you will be connected with a leading expert that will review your diagnosis and your treatment plan and provide you with recommendations for moving forward. What’s more, you can still use Best Doctors’ services up to 4 months from the time your claim is paid.4
You're eligible if you are:
- a member in good standing with your association, working at least 25 hours a week,
- between the ages of 18 and 65 (coverage ends on member’s 70th birthday),
- a resident of Canada.
Meet the criteria? You can get Critical Illness Insurance for:
What’s the cost?
Check out the rate sheets for a quick estimate.
Find out more
Full descriptions and any exclusions are in the plan brochure, but here's a list of critical illnesses covered:
- Cancer (life-threatening)
- Coronary artery bypass surgery
- Heart attack
- Kidney failure
- Loss of independent existence
- Major organ transplant
- Multiple sclerosis
- Stroke (cerebrovascular accident)
The Critical Illness benefit is payable only on the first covered condition for which a diagnosis is effective, or surgery is performed, and the insured's coverage then terminates. Such person may not become insured again under this benefit.
Take these three steps to apply:
Medical underwriting is required.
This website is intended only as an outline of the insurance policy, which is available upon request. The complete terms, conditions, exclusions and limitations governing the insurance coverage are found in the group insurance policy issued by Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada. The policy can be obtained by calling Sun Life Financial at 1-800-669-7921 Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET or emailing email@example.com.
The Company will not pay for any illness, disorder or surgery not specifically defined under covered conditions.
No benefits are payable for claims resulting directly or indirectly from any of the following:
- self-inflicted injury or attempted suicide, regardless of whether the insured has the ability to form the requisite intent or regardless of whether the insured has a mental illness such that the insured does not know or understand the consequences of the insured’s actions
- hostile action of any armed forces, insurrection or participation in a riot or civil commotion
- participation in a criminal offence
- use of illegal or illicit drugs or substances, misuse of drugs or alcohol