In Argentina, the flavour of grilled beef is brought to life by chimichurri, a fresh combination of green herbs and spices. Mark McEwan pairs Alberta beef with a tangy chimichurri marinade, grilled peppers and herb mayo – served portably in pitas. High in protein, low in fat and sugar – this a healthy meal for meat-lovers. Allow 4 hours to marinate steaks before grilling.
4 X 4 oz. (113 g) sirloin steaks
4 whole-wheat pitas
2 cups (500 mL) arugula
(Yields approximately 2 cups; refrigerate half for another use.)
- ¾ bunch flat-leaf parsley – stemmed and picked over
- ½ bunch cilantro, washed and roots trimmed off
- 8 cloves garlic
- 4 tbsp. (60 mL) minced green onion
- 4 tbsp. (60mL) white vinegar
- 6 tbsp. (75 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) chili flakes
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) black pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) olive oil
- ½ cup (125mL) light or vegan mayo
- 4 tbsp. (60mL) chopped fresh herbs (such as dill, parsley, chives or basil)
- ¼ tsp. (1.25 mL) black pepper
- 1 tbsp. (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp. (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 small-to-medium sweet onion
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp. (15mL) balsamic vinegar
- Transfer all chimichurri ingredients except olive oil into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Slowly add oil while pulsing. Do not over-process, as the texture should be a little coarse.
- Marinate steaks in 1 cup (250 mL) chimichurri for approximately 4 hours in the fridge. Remove from the fridge 30 minutes prior to grilling.
- Combine mayo ingredients and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Cut peppers and onion into large strips and toss with oil and vinegar. Grill or roast until tender (approximately 8 minutes at 400°F/204°C ). Peppers should still have a little snap when finished, not be mushy. Set aside and keep warm.
- Grill steaks on seasoned grill until desired doneness. 130 to 140°F (54 to 60°C) degrees is ideal. Let rest under foil for 7 minutes. Slice into thin strips and combine with warm pepper mix.
- Spread 1 tbsp. (15 mL) of the herb mayo inside each pita.
- Evenly stuff each of the 4 pitas with steak strips and pepper mix, followed by baby arugula and serve.
Nutrition per serving (1 stuffed pita):
Saturated fat 4g
Watch the video:
Are you at risk of having pre-diabetes or type 2 diabetes?
Healthy eating is one way to reduce the chance you will get diabetes. Take the CANRISK test to estimate your chance of developing type 2 diabetes or pre-diabetes (a condition where blood sugar levels are higher than normal but not yet at the level of diabetes). Knowing your risk level can help guide your diet choices and inform your conversations with your doctor.