Why do I need travel insurance?
If you’re planning to travel, there are many reasons why travel insurance may be right for you:
- For the peace of mind. You’ll know you’re protected in case of an accident or sudden illness.
- To cover unexpectedly high bills. The cost of medical care can be much higher abroad than in Canada,
- To be supported by a team of professionals. They’ll make sure that you have access to medical care and arrange for you to come home if needed.
- For unexpected hospital visits. Some hospitals require that uninsured patients pay a deposit of several thousands of dollars before providing the necessary care. With travel insurance, you'll save money on any potential hospital charges.
What does travel insurance cover?
When you’re traveling outside your home province, territory, or country, unexpected emergencies can cost thousands of dollars.
Your government health care plans have limits on how much they’ll cover. You may be left with any potential bills.
Travel insurance can help you manage your way through difficult situations:
- Emergency medical care. Travel insurance can help when you need unexpected hospital, ambulance, and dental care.
- Theft or loss of documents. Insurance specialists can help you reach the Canadian embassy or your financial institution if your documents or cards are lost or stolen.
- Translation services. If you don’t speak the local language where you’re traveling, multilingual interpreters can help. In an emergency, these interpreters can help you communicate with local resources.
- Trip interruption. Travel insurance can help you arrange for your return home in the event you must cut your trip short due to a medical reason.
Keep in mind that your coverage may not include any pre-existing health conditions. A Sun Life advisor can talk you through your insurance options.