We’ve noticed a rise in COVID-19 scams by email, text and phone. Please be cautious. Here’s how you can protect yourself and what to do if you suspect fraud. You can also find the latest info on how we’re responding to the pandemic at sunlife.ca/covid-19.

Getting financial support from the government

Need help coping with the financial impact of COVID-19? Here’s how the federal government intends to support Canadians through this pandemic.*

For families with kids, who may need extra support

They’ll see their annual Canada Child Benefit (CCB) increase by $300 per child. (But this is only for the 2019-2020 benefit year.)

Here’s more information on increasing CCB payments this year

For Canadians with mortgages

Canadian banks are working with their customers on a case-by-case basis in relation to providing COVID-19 support. Please contact your bank or financial institution to discuss mortgage deferral.

The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) and other mortgage insurers are allowing homeowners impacted by COVID-19 to defer up to six monthly mortgage payments.

Here’s more information on mortgage support

For Canadians who are sick, quarantined, unable to work or facing unemployment

They’ll receive the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB). This benefit offers up to $2,000 monthly, for up to 4 months. It’s offered to Canadians facing at least one of the following situations:

  • You can’t work due to COVID-19 and don’t have paid leave or other income support.
  • You’re sick, quarantined or taking care of someone who’s sick with COVID-19.
  • You must stay home without pay to care for children that are sick or need extra care due to school and daycare closures.
  • You still have employment, but you aren’t being paid because there’s currently not enough work. And, your employer has asked them not to come to work.
  • You’re a self-employed person, a contract worker or a wage earner who doesn’t qualify for Employment Insurance (EI).

Here’s more information on the new Canada Emergency Response Benefit

For low- or modest-income families

These families will get a one-time special payment via the Goods and Services Tax Credit (GSTC) by May 2020. This means an average boost of $400 for single individuals and $600 for couples.

Here’s more information on support for families and individuals with low- or modest-income

For seniors

Canadians with Registered Retirement Income Funds (RRIFs) and Registered Pension Plans may reduce their minimum withdrawals by up to 25% in 2020. To request a reduction, please contact us.

Here’s more information on support for seniors

For Canadians with student debts

They’ll get a six-month interest-free pause on the repayment of Canada Student Loans.

Here’s more information on support for students and recent grads

For Canadian employers or business owners

The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy offers a 75 per cent wage subsidy to eligible employers for up to 12 weeks. This can help ensure employers have the financial ability to continue coverage for their employees.

Here’s more information on the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy

* For updates on when these actions will take effect, please visit the Government of Canada’s page on the COVID-19 Economic Response Plan.