Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes | Makes six servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- ½ cup (125 mL) diced red onion
- 1 package (12 oz/340 g) Mexican-flavoured vegetarian ground round
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced green bell pepper
- 2 cans (each 19 oz/540 mL) diced tomatoes (about 4¾ cups/1.175 L)
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans drained and rinsed (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated carrots
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried parsley
- 1 tsp (5 mL) hot pepper sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded Cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and red onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground round, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon to prevent clumps; sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until evenly heated.
- Add green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, carrots, parsley, hot pepper sauce and pepper to taste; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until beans are heated through.
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with cheese.
- If you can't find Mexican-flavoured vegetarian ground round, use regular vegetarian ground round and add 2 tbsp (25 ml) of chili powder.
- Use as a base for Mexican shepherd's pie, topped with cornbread.
Variation: Substitute a 12-oz/341 mL can of peaches-and-cream corn, drained, for the carrots.
Nutrition per serving
Very high in vitamin A, thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B12 and iron; high in vitamin C, folate and vitamin B6
Diabetes food choice values per serving: ½ carbohydrate, 2 meat and alternatives
Courtesy Dietitians of Canada: Simply Great Food: 250 Quick, Easy & Delicious Recipes by Patricia Chuey, MSc, RD, Eileen Campbell & Mary Sue Waisman, MSc, RD © 2007 www.robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission.