The sweet and savoury salad is loaded with crunchy bites of roasted carrot and celery and topped with a kick of horseradish dressing. Packed with protein and heart-healthy veggies, this dish demonstrates that healthy meals can be easy and full of flavour.
Preparation time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes | Makes 4 servings
Dressing (yields 1 cup/250 mL):
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 5 tbsp (75 mL) white balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup + 5 tsp (150 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) horseradish
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grainy mustard
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) black pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) carrots, scraped
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) kosher salt
- 1 tbsp (5 mL) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) avocado, peeled and sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 12 sprigs fresh coriander (cilantro)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) celery hearts
- 1 lb (450g) boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) salt
- black pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients except olive oil. Whisk in olive oil in a slow, thin stream.
- For chicken marinade, whisk mustard, oil and seasonings in a bowl. Coat chicken in marinade and grill on BBQ or in oven until done. Slice and reserve.
- Toss carrots in olive oil and salt and roast at 375ºF (190ºC) until tender but still with a bit of crunch.
- Place carrots and avocado on a serving plate and drizzle with 2 tsp of the dressing. Fan out sliced chicken breast on top of vegetables and top with green onion, coriander sprigs and celery hearts. Drizzle on an additional 1 tsp of dressing as garnish.
Nutrition per serving
|Saturated fat||3 g|
|Sodium||510 mg (21% daily value)|
|Fibre||6 g (24% daily value)|
|Calcium||6% daily value|
|Iron||10% daily value|
For more delicious recipes and other news from Mark McEwan, visit the McEwan Group