- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground turkey or chicken
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated gingerroot
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- ¾ cup (175 mL) finely chopped red bell pepper
- ¾ cup (175 mL) finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (8 oz/227 mL) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) hoisin sauce
- ¾ tsp (3 mL) Chinese five-spice powder
- ¼ to ½ tsp (1 to 2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- ½ cup (125 mL) shredded carrot
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
- In a large nonstick skillet, over medium heat, brown turkey and ginger, breaking up turkey with a spoon, for 5 to 6 minutes or until no longer pink. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté red pepper, yellow pepper and onion for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Return turkey to skillet and stir in water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, ¼ cup (60 mL) water, five-spice powder and hot pepper flakes to taste; cook, stirring often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through. Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Arrange carrot and lettuce leaves on a large platter and set out with the turkey mixture. Top each lettuce leaf with 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the turkey mixture, then carrot. Wrap lettuce to enclose filling.
Nutrients per serving:
Carbohydrate 5 g
Total fat 3.1 g
Saturated fat 0.7 g
Protein 6 g
Fiber 1 g (4% daily value)
Sodium 95 mg (4% daily value)
Calcium 13 mg (1% daily value)
Iron 0.7 mg (5% daily value)
High in: Vitamin C
Diabetes food choice values per serving: 1 meat and alternatives
Accompany your wrap with a healthy drink like this matcha green tea smoothie.
Courtesy of Dietitians of Canada, Cook! by Mary Sue Waisman & Dietitians of Canada © 2011 robertrose.ca Reprinted with publisher permission. Available where books are sold.