What is critical illness insurance?
Medical advances have dramatically improved the survival rates of people who suffer critical illnesses such as cancer, stroke and heart disease. Recovery may come with a significant financial cost that impacts both you and the people close to you.
Critical illness insurance from Sun Life offers the financial help to pay the costs associated with life-altering illnesses. If you become sick with an illness covered by your policy and survive the waiting period, you’ll receive a lump-sum cash payment. And, unlike reimbursed health insurance benefits, you decide how to spend the money.
Critical illness insurance can help you:
- Reduce debt and other financial concerns while you cope with your illness
- Replace any reduced or lost income for you and your spouse, who may wish to take time off work to care for you
- Bring in additional help at home for you and your family
- Consider new medical treatments and medications not covered by private or government health insurance plans
We have 3 plans to meet your needs:
Sun Critical Illness Insurance
- Gives you the advantage of comprehensive critical illness coverage that includes a broad range of covered illnesses
- Adult plans are available in amounts of $25,000 to $2,500,000
- Child plans are available in amounts of $25,000 to $1,000,000
- Available options include return of premium benefits and the ability to convert the policy to long term care insurance
SunSpectrum Basic Critical Illness Insurance
- Provides coverage for 4 leading health risks facing Canadians – cancer, stroke, heart attack and coronary artery bypass surgery
- Adult plans are available in amounts of $50,000 to $500,000
- Automatically includes a return of premium on death benefit for single life policies and waiver of premiums after first death benefit for joint life policies
Express Critical Illness Insurance
- 3 available plans offer coverage for 1 to 7 common life-threatening illnesses or conditions
- Adult plans are available in amounts of $25,000 or $50,000
- Online approval is instant with no medical or blood work required
Get critical illness insurance
Step 1: Find an advisor
Critical illness insurance is a specialized product. Your decision to buy coverage should be made with the help of someone who really understands the product. An advisor can help you determine the right coverage to meet your need to protect your family and your finances. Talk to your advisor or find an advisor near you to help answer your questions. There is no cost to talk to an advisor.