Starting May 1, 2010, the Cuban government requires all visitors to possess certain medical coverage to enter the country.
We're pleased to confirm that Sun Life Financial’s Personal Health Insurance (PHI) and Health Coverage Choice (HCC) plans that include emergency travel medical are recognized as eligible medical coverage for entry into Cuba.
Travellers to Cuba must provide evidence of medical coverage before they enter Cuba. If they can’t provide this documentation they will be required to buy insurance from Cuban company.
According to the Travel Health Insurance Association (THIA), Cuban authorities will accept either a provincial health insurance card or proof of private travel insurance coverage.
Although there is no guarantee that visitors won’t be required to purchase local coverage, based on the information provided to date, members and dependents should be prepared to present the following proof of medical coverage:
- Provincial health insurance card. Each member of the family should travel with his or her own personalized card. Even though provincial health insurance plan coverage may gain you entry into Cuba, you should not rely on it as your only form of emergency medical coverage. You should also take your emergency travel assistance documentation in the event you need to contact Europ Assistance.
- Sun Life Financial Medi-passport emergency travel card. Individuals with PHI and HCC plans that include emergency travel medical will have received a travel card in the "Travelling soon?" brochure in their welcome kit or in the information sent when we changed travel assistance providers in September 2003.
As an option, plan members travelling to Cuba can contact the Personal Health Insurance team at 1 877 SUN LIFE (1 877 786-5433) to obtain a letter outlining their coverage and listing any insured dependants. This letter can be presented as evidence of medical coverage to Cuban officials.
Things you need to remember:
- You or someone travelling with you must call Europ Assistance prior to receiving any treatment. Carry your emergency travel assistance documentation with you.
- When in Cuba, you need to use the services of an international operator to reach Europ Assistance since direct dialing is not available from Cuba.
- Once contacted, Europ Assistance will refer you to the nearest facility for medical treatment, confirm coverage and benefits and facilitate payment to the hospital or medical provider.
You can count on Sun Life Financial to provide affordable, comprehensive coverage to help protect you and your family from unexpected health expenses and many ongoing health-related expenses not covered by your provincial health plan.
It's the solution for Canadians like you, who believe health care is a priority and who want the financial resources available to pay those costs when they're needed.
For more information contact the Personal Health Insurance team at 1 877 SUN LIFE (1 877 786-5433).