Personal health insurance - How do I make a claim?
- How do I file a claim?
- Are the lifetime and annual maximums per person?
- Can I transfer unused benefit amounts to the next year of coverage?
File your vision, paramedical and dental claims online
With access to web services, you can submit your personal health insurance claims for vision, paramedical and dental (if applicable), online.
Need to register?
If you haven't already, you can register for access to web services online at www.mysunlife.ca or by phone at 1-877-SUN-LIFE (1-877-786-5433). You will need to know your policy number (037000) and ID number.
If you have already registered for Customer Access, you do not need to register for the personal health insurance web services.
File your dental and extended health claims through the mail
An initial supply of forms is available in your welcome package. Mail your completed form, along with your original receipts to:
Sun Life Financial
Health and Dental Claims
PO Box 3417 Stn D
Ottawa ON K1P 1G1
Remember to keep a copy for your records.
You can also print the forms here:
Dental claim form for personal health insurance [PDF, 2 pages, 51 kb]
Extended health care claim form for personal health insurance [PDF, 2 pages, 60 kb]
Prescription drug claims
For prescription drug claims in all provinces except Quebec, all you need is your Pay Direct Drug card. When you present your card to the pharmacist, the portion of your bill that is covered by your plan will be paid automatically. You just pay the remainder of the cost at the pharmacy counter.
In Quebec, Pay Direct Drug cards are not available. If you live in Quebec, all your claims can be filed easily using claims forms. Just pay for your prescription in full, and then file a claim for reimbursement of the covered portion.
Emergency Travel Medical claims
To ensure payment of these expenses:
- Call the 24-hour helpline listed on your Emergency Travel Medical card immediately or have someone call on your behalf.
- Europ Assistance USA, Inc. will verify your health coverage and provincial health care coverage so payments can be arranged on behalf of you, your insured spouse or your insured dependant.
- You'll be required to sign an authorization form allowing Europ Assistance USA, Inc. to recover any amount payable to the provincial health care plan.
- You're responsible for expenses incurred that are not covered under our plan or your provincial health care plan. You'll need to reimburse Europ Assistance USA, Inc. for any excess amount paid on your behalf.
- If you receive any subsequent bills for these expenses, please forward them to Europ Assistance USA, Inc. and they will co-ordinate payments with the provincial health care plan and us.
More information on Emergency Travel Medical claims is in your welcome package.
No. Maximums are per calendar year.