Alberta Dental Fee Finder
You may be aware that, unlike the rest of Canada, the Dental Association and College in Alberta does not publish an annual fee guide for dentists to use as a reference. As a result, dental fees can vary widely among Alberta-based dentists. In light of this, Sun Life Financial and other insurers have to establish their own reimbursement levels for dental fees in Alberta.
Some dentists charge fees that are higher than our reimbursement levels. This difference between what dentists charge and what Sun Life Financial reimburses is the member's responsibility.
Making it make sense
We have developed a dental fee finder to help plan members in Alberta determine the range of fees that dentists charge in a certain area. This dental fee finder will allow you to have some insight into how your dentist's fees compare with others in the area and with the maximum levels under Sun Life Financial's reimbursement guide. While we know that price is not the only consideration in choosing a dentist, this information can help you make an informed choice in determining what steps, if any, you wish to take to help maximize the value of your dental coverage.
Using the Alberta dental fee finder
Select an area to view
- Pick the first 3 characters of an Alberta postal code from the list below
Read the report
- The report shows, on average, the lowest, highest and average fees of general practitioners for each of the 15 dental procedures.
- A typical dental recall visit is also listed, as is the Sun Life Financial reimbursement guide.
Use the information
Compare these fees against a dental visit you had in the same time period. Some questions you might want to consider are:
- Where do the fees of your dentist fall in the range of fees?
- Are your dentist's fees below or close to the Sun Life Financial reimbursement guide for the procedure codes listed?
- Are you satisfied with the services you're currently receiving?
- Are you interested in having a discussion with your dentist on their fees if they are higher than what is reimbursed by your plan?
- Can I get a list of other dentists in my region?
Sun Life Financial's Alberta dental fee finder report is for informational purposes only and to help members like you to understand the dental landscape in Alberta. Your Sun Life Financial dental plan may not include all the services listed in the report. Please refer to your benefits booklet for details about your plan.
The above reports are in Adobe Acrobat format. If you don't already have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you can download it here: